28 January 2009

Alber Elbaz


Images: Sarah Moon



"Artists have no boundaries. I do not think of myself as that kind of artist. I have to think about a body, a season, a price, a store, a hanger. The hardest part of designing is finding a balance between fantasy and construction. It's like salt - too much is terrible and not enought leaves you without flavour."

"It's like baking: I can never make a cake because they tell you 10 grams of this and 1o minutes here. I can't follow those kinds of rules. And I do not crave that kind of perfection."

- Alber Elbaz

2 comments:

  1. sounds familiar. tom (ford) might have said something like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I suppose you mean that Mr Ford did not consider himself and artist and was more concerned with the pragmatic? Good observation. But Mr Ford would NEVER use food analogies! I was thrown off for a bit because in my mind I never grouped these two together, they do seems totally different creatures.

    ReplyDelete