01 February 2009

Sense And Sensibility


" 'La! Miss Dashwood, do you think people make love when anybody else is by? Oh! for shame? - To be sure you must know better than that.' (Laughing affectedly.) - 'No, no; they were shut up in the drawing-room together, and all I heard was only by listening at the door.'
'How!' cried Elinor; 'have you been repeating to me what you only learnt yourself by listening at the door? I am sorry I did not know it before; for I certainly would not have suffered you to give me particulars of a conversation which you ought not to have known yourself. How could you behave so unfairly to your sister?'
'Oh, la! there is nothing in that. I only stood at the door, and heard what I could. And I am sure Lucy would have done the same by me; for a year or two back, when Martha Sharpe and I had so many secrets together, she never made any bones of hiding in a closet, or behind a chimney-board, on purpose to hear what we said.' " Jane Austen, Sense And Sensibility

2 comments: