15 December 2009

Concision





I grew up looking at Mats Gustafson’s fashion drawings, which have decorated the pages of top magazines since the late 1970s. By 1997, the artist began shifting his focus to the natural world, with pastel landscape studies. Mr Gustafson, a Swede, began drawing swans in the same minimalist style that had defined his work in the fashion industry. “I picked the most fashionable parts of nature,” Gustafson said. “The swan is very much the supermodel among birds, and they’re very elegant. I was still looking for beautiful lines, but just in the natural world. I wanted to reduce, simplify, and get to the essence of things,” Gustafson said of his stark, romantic works. I love, love, love the concision of his work.
It's the complete opposite of what fashion is now.


2 comments: