22 December 2009

For Christmas: The Annunciation

The Annunciation, Leonardo da Vinci, 1475
Annunciation, Sandro Boticelli, 1489

Annunciation, Simone Martini, 1344
The Annunciation to the Virgin, Fra Angelico, 1446
Me, at Christmas, waiting for my very own angel Gabriel.
Of all Christian iconography, this is my favourite. I love the whole idea of the virgin conception (the holy virgin remained intact after Jesus's birth); the angel Gabriel fluttering in with parrot wings (his words, the seed); the virgin always reading. Sometimes, startled, the open book tumbles to the marble floor. I've always wanted to do a fashion shoot based on this tableau, someone quick do it!

1 comment:

  1. I like the martini and angelico ones becos she is in a "I DEMURRED" pose:) Brilliant idea for photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete