18 December 2009

Weekend Reading List

Since I started freelancing, I have been going to the old office, and I've been taking home stacks of the weeklies 8 Days and i-Weekly. They certainly add cheer and gloss, and while I can't say I've been reading them religiously, I love looking at the pictures of celebs doing stupid things, or in period costumes looking very silly. Flip, flip, flip and then chuck. i-Weekly also comes with a lifestyle supplement (I only just discovered) which Mother finds useful: Lots of recipes, gardening tips, astrological readings. Alas, my Chinese really is limited.
Quite on a different note, I'm reading The Spell, the 1998 novel by Alan Hollinghurst, all over again. It's been such a while since he has come out with a book, and I really miss him. I have all his books, every last one of them read several times, dreamily: The lush, erotic The Swimming Pool Library (1988); The Folding Star, 1994; And one of my all-time faves, The Line of Beauty, 2004, for which he won the Booker Prize. Incidentally, Hollinghurst, like Mother, is a Gemini, born 26 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment