25 December 2009

Weekend Reading List

I have tonnes of stuff to read as kind friends have been gifting me books for Christmas, but that's not what I'm reading now. All that will have to wait till later, as I need to clear (obsessively) the backlog of my reading. One week day (BG has the most leave/off days of anyone I know who is gainfully employed), I went to BG's and along with four Hugo shirts, he gave me a huge bag of magazines to read and share. He would otherwise have thrown them all away (imagine BG's carbon footprint - HUGE, I'm telling you), seeing as how he hates the growing stack collecting dust on his washing machine. Dust, and now cat hairs: BG keeps a stray kitten called Charlie in the dark, glassed in kitchen.
The Time magazines I zip through quickly and then leave on the marble side table for Father. Time really has lost any urgency, and seems irrelevant now (doesn't one get all this sort of reading online?), and reminds me of waiting - in lounges and planes. Its time has come, surely? The UK Vogues I also skimmed and gave away immediately. The Men's Health sits in the toilet, and seems full of useful diet tips and motivational exercise stories - the mainstay of this magazine are how-to-get-killer-abs features and every issue has a few. Washboard abs (how banal right?) are the Holy Grail for butch girls today; It's not about health, it's about looks, and there's something drag about this. Men's Health is the Allure for men. I also share this with Father, although neither of us are likely to have those abs in this lifetime. That leaves Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia: I really enjoy this well put-together magazine (I think I've said this before) and I find it very useful for my travel column. Once I comb through one, I put it outside on top of the shoe cupboard and wait for Uncle Rubbish to take it away.

1 comment: