19 March 2010

Weekend Reading List

Because I enjoyed Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog so much I went in search of her first novel, Gourmet Rhapsody (translated into English in 2009, from French) all over town. I've not been so passionate about an authour for ages. I finally found the book at BooksActually, the definition of "quaint little bookstore"; Its location is at 5 Ann Siang Hill. I've never been to this five year-old book store although many friends have told me that I'd love it. They were so right. I was lost in there for an hour or so. And I'll be back. BooksActually also produce their own line of stationery (under their imprint Birds & Co) and stock vintage gift items so it's a great place to buy a gift for a special fussy someone.
Back to the book. It's not brilliant, so not to bother.
Ms Barbery, 40, now lives in Japan, where she is working on her third novel.

3 comments:

  1. Did you take this picture Mr Dg? I am loving it for some odd reasons.

    Mr B

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't but it's a display at BooksActually, I think they are 'painted' books... ie the covers were painted over in acrylic paint.
    Glad you like it nonetheless. i like the Straits Times used to line the floor; gives it a singaporean flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like that she's 40, lives in japan, and on her 3rd novel.

    ReplyDelete