10 April 2010

Weekend Reading List

People are becoming ruder everyday, and one can only wish they would read books like Excuse Me, But I Was Next: How To Handle The Top 100 Manners Dilemma by Peggy Post. Don't even ask why I have this book, or have decided to read it now. My favourite Miu Miu sunglasses are broken, and my toe hurts, and rude texts ruined a weekend is all I need to tell you of my close encounters of the unapologetically rude kind.
Another must-read, if for an altogether different reason, is the Ingres monograph by Manuel Jover. I picked this up on a whim passing by the Borders bargain bin one day, and I must say it is an engrossing study of this artist with just enough biographical detail, while going directly to the criticism of the works. (I'm not one of those that like to read exhaustive research on any subject's childhood, the how-the-parents-met-what-the-grandparents-ate-for-supper kind of bio.) I'm interested in his work, period. If such of his biography has bearing on his work, then I'll greedily lap it up, but not the circumstantial kitchen sink please. This book is not lushly reproduced, but it's wonderfully edited, with a careful assessment of Ingres's strengths and weaknesses. Aren't bargain bins glorious?CC gave me Portraits and Observations: The Essays Of Truman Capote to add to my collection of Truman Capote books (In fact, I have it all: Not a big boast as Capote's output is famously slim). It's a nice new cover (2007) with a photo of Capote on the dust jacket I've never seen before but that's all that's new. I've read all that's in there at least a dozen times."Writers, at least those who take genuine risks, who are willing to bite the bullet and walk the plank, have a lot in common with another breed of lonely men - the guys who make a living shooting pool and dealing cards" - Truman Capote

No comments:

Post a Comment