25 November 2010

L'Amour Fou


A new French documentary on YSL, Yves Saint Laurent L'Amour Fou, chronicles the Saint Laurent and Pierre Berge affair (they met at Christian Dior’s funeral in 1957) all the way through Mr Berge's decision last year to sell their multimillion dollar private art collection upon the designer's death in 2008. Directed by Pierre Thoretton, the 104 minute film features rare archives footage and exclusive images — some never shown before (truly rare, as their story has been such a well documented affair, the 'crazy love' of the film's title). Saint Laurent's muses, Betty Catroux and Loulou de la Falaise, predictably, put in appearances.“I only saw him happy twice a year. At the end of each collection when he was acclaimed by the room.” - Pierre BergĂ©

5 comments:

  1. what a fascinating video. need to watch all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. I could actually figure out what he was saying by listening, and looking at the subtitles, at the same time. Hurray. One small audio step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Beauty: I know, it looks very promising don't you think? And I cant wait to watch Jane Eyre and Black Swan as well...
    Dear Anon: YSL didn't speak English at all! But a genius nonetheless, and quite beautiful in his youth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear I meant Pierre Bergé's French. I studied French years ago in grad school but it's all for reading and research so I never really learned the sounds of French until quite recently, when I decided to pick it up again, on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anon: Admirable, and I'm sure rewarding. I do love the sound of French being spoken.

    ReplyDelete