27 January 2012

Spring 2012 Couture: Valentino

Even though lots of people are reporting that this collection references Marie Antoinette's bucolic fantasy milkmaid frocks. I think it's fairly obvious that the starting point references that pseudo-French queen Jackie O. I mean Jackie Onassis, and not Jackie Kennedy, for the two are quite different in style. To be more specific, it references the Valentino dress that she wore to marry Aristotle Onassis in 1968. The flats are a clue, as are the sleeves and the short skirts. Having said that, Pier Paolo Piccioli and Maria Grazia Chiuri's (quite a mouthful huh?) collection is my favourite of the season. The lightness of touch in the lace, organza, and filigree, smocking, and embroidery that felt graceful, and modern.You only need to look at Chanel this season (it references the 1960s too, which is useful) to know what I mean. I usually fall down foaming at Aunty Karla's couture, but this collection feels rigid and heavy and quite, quite old.

2 comments:

  1. So that's why this collection looks familiar. But these collection are prettier than Jackie's wedding dress.

    Christina @ Men Solid Suits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christina: I'm so happy that you can see what I mean. At least that's what I think - and yes, i think generally technology has enabled the creation of lighter fabrics as well as more precise workmanship so the result is lighter than the couture of old. X

    ReplyDelete