28 June 2010

Men's Spring 2011: Lanvin

The more I look at other collections, trying to define that certain something lacking in this season's showings, the more I keep coming back to Lanvin. The supposedly 'rugged' premise of of this collection was merely the starting point for Lucas Ossendrijver and Alber Elbaz to send out clothes that were radically elegant, keenly felt and thoroughly thought-out. I don't think any other collection was worked on quite so minutely, or was processed and digested with such conviction - yes, including the skulls and skirts collection at Comme des Garcons. CdG was merely systematic. Lanvin is the clear winner for me this season, for its definition of where mens fashion is going, for finding new ways to be elegant, for an intelligence that never feels cold, because it has heart and passion. Just looking at the cloud-patterned checked jacquard knocks everything else I've seen right out of my head.PS Isn;t it great style.com has started to name the male models? Now I can identify every fiercely scowling new blonde that whizzes by!

3 comments:

  1. This is truly the clear winner. I think of all the collections this season, the clothes in this show really felt like they belonged to the models, as if they were the model's own clothes... you got your clutch bag yet? I think I'm going to get one... SOL...

    SOLs are happy right? Or are they sad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the girls yes but what abt the boys? style.com, don't be guilty of reverse sexism, hear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew: Yay! I'm please you agree on this. I really like this for being feminine yet not drag if you know what i mean.
    SOLs: Can be happy of sad, depending on context. But mostly, wistful.
    Anon: I don't really understand what you meant. Is it about the naming of the models? Yes, they have this season started to name male models... not all yet, just some unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete