30 April 2010

Weekend Reading List

I was researching a project on Frida Kahlo and I stumbled across an excellent collection of her photographs in I Will Never Forget You, all taken by Nickolas Muray in the 1930s and 1940s. In it are all the iconic images of her, including those those with her pet deer Granizo. Nikolas Muray was a Hungarian photographer, an international champion fencer, hansome, charming and talented, and became Kahlo's lover after her divorce from Diego Rivera. The book also contains their love letters; These, alas, are tawdry. I suppose all affairs of the swooning kind are.Nosing around, I found another interesting book in the library, David Alan Brown and Jane Van Nimen's Raphael and the Beautiful Banker: The Story of the Bindo Altoviti Portait. Now, I've blogged about this 1515 portrait before (the subject is model-beautiful) and have always found this painting fascinating and modern. This book traces the painting's patchy history, and people's response to it. Still on an art theme, I'm also reading the novel The Art Thief (Noah Charney), a detective story set in the world of art crime. You see, there are no new Agatha Christies, and this is a shade better than Dan Brown, at least.

1 comment:

  1. HOT! i like this entry... is it on the 7th or 8th floor of the library?

    ReplyDelete